08 February 2008

Clocks and water déjà vu

Alkmaar was the first city in the Netherlands to be freed from the Spanish occupation. It was a turning point in the Eighty Years War and gave rise to the expression "Bij Alkmaar begint de victorie" (Victory begins in Alkmaar). This all happened on Oct. 8, 1573. Today, besides hundreds of trendy shops and cozy restaurants, there are many historic, old churches in Alkmaar's Town Centre and many kilometers of canals called "grachten," they're everywhere!

A couple of things I think are really cool in Holland are “vrije uitloop eieren” (free-range eggs) sold at Albert Heijn and “Echinacea toothpaste.” All large supermarkets in the Netherlands now sell eggs only from poultry farms raising birds in open barns or in free-range systems. The toothpaste is just something I have been using since I arrived, really like the stuff and thought my sisters at home would find it interesting (they're into herbs).

Another thing I have found fascinating is the view from my flat. My flat and my other living quarters during the last year have all been up high enough to see out over the roof tops. This occasional contemplation spurred me recently to write this poem...

Clocks and water déjà vu

I can see the hands of a large clock
in a tower
from my living room in Alkmaar.

I could see the hands of a large clock
in a tower
from my living room in Minden.

I could see the hands of a large clock
in a tower
from my living room in Rochester.

A canal passes silently nearby,
below my living room in Alkmaar.

A river passed silently nearby,
below my living room in Minden.

A river passed silently nearby,
below my living room in Rochester.

What this all means to me,
I know not... again.

It’s a beautiful, bright and sunny day here, and the air is still. I’m going over to the central library in the "winkelstad" (main shopping district), 1/2 block away from my flat, to study my Dutch taal. This is “poetry week” at the library, so there are also events going on there.

Looking forward to meeting all of you in August!

No comments: